Issues-based Advocacy

When you need help with a particular problem, advocacy can help you have your views and wishes heard. If you live in Dorset and get help from social services, or care for someone who does, our advocates may be able to help.

Who we help

group of peopleWe help people who are getting commissioned services from either Dorset Council or BCP Council


Who are one or more of the following:

  • over 65 years old
  • an adult with learning disabilities and/or autism
  • An adult with physical disability or long-term condition
  • Caring for someone who has support from Social Services. They must live in the Dorset Council area.
    See our Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Carers page for people who live in BCP Council area.
  • An adult experiencing substance misuse problems and are known to the Drug and Alcohol Team.

This includes people who are in prison in Dorset.  It doesn’t include people living in care homes or supported accommodation in Dorset which is paid for by an out of county local authority.  Out of county authorities can purchase our services directly.

What we help with

An Advocate will support you to say what you want, secure your rights, represent your interests and obtain the services you need.

What we can’t help with

There are some issues that we regret we are not able to help with:

  • Benefits advice 
  • Housing and moving house.  If you need to move because your care needs have changed and the social workers are doing assessments of your care, you may qualify for an advocate under the Care Act.  Your social worker would need to make the decision.  See our Care Act page for more information.
  • Legal advice

How do I make a referral?

  • If you’re the person who wants advocacy you can refer yourself or you can ask someone else to make the referral for you.
  • If you are making the referral for someone else, please make sure the person has given their permission if they are able to make decisions for themselves.

Download our referral form:

Your personal information

When you make a referral, we take personal information from you which we are responsible for keeping safe.
Find out how we look after your data